Saturday, May 21, 2011

4 Myths I Taught Myself to Believe

I used to believe a lot of things about myself that are pretty stupid as I look back on them, such as believing that cylinders in an engine are torpedoes that explode in your car. Turns out it’s not quite exciting as what I always imaged. But then there are myths I taught myself that actually affected the way I conducted myself. Myths such as:

1. I will spiritually mature when I have my own family

I grew up in the church my whole life. Worshiping God is something I’ve always considered normal, but never did much of it because it’s not really very fun for a little kid. When I was old enough to be graduated from Sunday school and had to be with my mom for the whole service I still never sang out loud for the longest time. Being a Christian to me seemed like a grownup thing to do, just like getting a job. I didn’t want to do it now but I knew there would be a time when I would decide to do it. I remember very clearly looking around at other families and telling myself that when I have a wife and kids I will then become a worshipper. I am so thankful to God that he has made me who I am NOW and is continuing to make me who I need to be for my wife and kids, instead of me having to change for them.

2. I’m way ahead of everyone in competition with me

I am blessed beyond anything I could have ever hoped for. My dad has taught me so much in my life. I was doing graduate level graphic design and computer work before high school and made my first website when I was in elementary school. Most kids have not had the opportunities that I have had. Unfortunately I grew up thinking I had no competition instead of focusing on how I can improve myself. I now feel like the world is racing ahead of me. It’s a bittersweet feeling. On the one hand it is motivation to work harder, and on the other hand it is depressing how much of my life I didn’t strive to be better than myself. When you are racing against turtles, don’t be content to just win; try to be the fastest rabbit there is!

3. Reading is a waste of time

I hated reading growing up. You know why? It was forced upon me! The only times I ever read where because I was required to. What’s even sillier is that 90% of the time I actually enjoyed what I was reading but I was stuck in this mentality that reading sucks. When someone (my mom) would insist that reading makes you smarter and have a better imagination, I would come up with some reason why every other medium of entertainment is far superior to books. My attitude about reading has changed drastically. I now read any chance I get during breaks from work. The thing is I am reading mostly non-fiction. You really can learn a lot. Books can directly influence your character.

4. Chicks dig me

Did you read my last post where I started by talking about how I’ve never had a girlfriend? I can assure you that it was not because nobody was interested in me. Plenty of girls flirted with me. Many friends of my sister would tell her they thought I was hot and of course she would inform me. This can really go to a guy’s head. I thought I was hot stuff. Thankfully I’ve done a lot of growing over the last decade. I’ve determined the specific type of girl I am looking for. This rare breed of female is not like those that threw around flirty compliments like confetti. “She” doesn’t mess around. She won’t bite the bait that works on most girls. This type of girl is hard to get. Suddenly chicks don’t seem to “dig” me because this isn’t Kansas anymore, so to speak. I must work very hard to win the love of someone who will only accept a certain character, instead of just being “hot” and not having to fight for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment